About the Program
Within the setting of a historic police station and courthouse, this program gives students the opportunity to develop a deeper understanding of the interrelationships between the law and society.
Selected museum collection items are used to explain how the laws that govern society are developed, implemented and enforced. Students look at evidence that highlights how laws have evolved to reflect changing societal values and consider what it would have been like awaiting trial in the holding cells. They also study the symbolism of the courtroom and learn about the traditions and structure of the NSW legal system.
A highlight of the program is the mock trial during which students assume the roles of various court officials to work through the processes and etiquette of a Local Court hearing of either a drink-driving or prohibited drug case. To add to the impact and authenticity of the experience, where possible, a prosecutor from the NSW Police Prosecutions Command will attend the trial to act as the Magistrate and talk to students about their role.
- Please plan to arrive before the start time of your booked program to allow for cloaking, toilet visits and/or a refreshment break for the students. If you arrive late, some elements and activities may need to be cut from the program to keep to the scheduled finish time.
- Large groups will be divided up into smaller groups for activities in the museums.
- Bags, food and drinks are not permitted in the museums and cloaking facilities are provided.
- Photography policies vary between the museums so please ask a member of staff for details.
- Teachers and carers are required to remain with their groups at all times.
- Disciplining students remains the responsibility of teachers and carers accompanying the group.
- Please let us know before your visit if any of your students have special needs or learning difficulties so we can plan to accommodate their needs during the visit.
Stage 5 Commerce
- 5.3 - Examines the role of law in society
- 5.4 - Analyses key factors affecting commercial and legal decisions
Stage 6 Legal Studies
- P5 - Describes the role of law in encouraging cooperation and resolving conflict, as well as initiating and responding to change
- P6 - Explains the nature of the interrelationship between the legal system and society